CLONFOLIC TABLETS (28)
Folic Acid is present in certain foods (Fortified breads & cereals, broccoli, sprouts, green beans, oranges and grapefruit) but not in the concentrations sufficient enough for pregnancy so it should be taken in supplement form during this time.
- Folic Acid 0.4mg per tablet
Why is Clonfolic important?
- Taking folic acid daily can help reduce the risk of having a baby with Spina Bifida by up to 70%.
- Spina Bifida is a neural tube defect (NTD) – The neural tube forms the baby’s spine.
- The unborn baby’s spine is open when it first forms, but it normally closes around the 29th day following conception.
- In spina bifida the backbone has not closed completely and this leads to varying degrees of malformation, leg paralyses and bladder and bowel control problems.
- Many women are aware they are pregnant by day 29, so it is important to take folic acid fourteen weeks prior to becoming pregnant.
- This helps ensure that there is sufficient folic acid build up in the body.
- It is also important to continue taking folic acid for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
- It is estimated that over 100 babies are born each year with spina bifida
- Of these, 95% are born to mothers who have not previously given birth to an NTD baby – therefore all woman of child bearing age who are sexually active are at risk.
- Taking folic acid daily can prevent up to 70% of first time neural tube defects.
- Take one tablet daily starting (if possible) 14 weeks before getting pregnant and continuing until the 12th week of your pregnancy