24 Hour Blood Pressure Monitoring
What is 24-hour blood pressure monitoring?
Blood pressure monitoring (BPM) or, to be medically precise, ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) records your blood pressure at specific intervals over a single 24-hour period while you go about your day as normal.
A small digital device is either clipped to your waistband or slipped into a pouch with shoulder strap which can be worn over or under your clothing. The device connects to a cuff around your upper arm.
Why monitor your blood pressure over 24 hours?
BPM/ABPM allows your doctor to monitor changes in your blood pressure over the day so that they can:
- find out if your readings in the clinic are higher than elsewhere (the white coat effect).
- see how effectively your medications are controlling your blood pressure throughout the day and night.
- see if your blood pressure stays high at night. If so, your treatment may need to be changed or adjusted.
What should I do during Blood Pressure Monitoring?
During monitoring, you’ll need to ensure that the tube to the machine is not twisted or bent. Just before the machine is about to take a reading, it will beep.
On hearing the beep you should:
- sit down, if possible
- keep the BPM cuff at the same level as your heart
- keep your arm steady.
After 24 hours you return the monitor to the pharmacy and your results will be downloaded and analysed. The results are given to you and/or emailed to your doctor to be used to inform any treatment plan, if required.
Pricing & Terms
There is a charge of €60 for the service (payable at the fitting appointment).
- Professional fitting and rental of the device for 24 hours
- Analysis of the data and production of a printed and/or PDF report of the 24 hour BP analysis.
This service is for adults only and is usually recommended by your doctor initially.
The cuff that is fitted around your upper arm fits a minimum diameter of 25cm and a maximum of 45cm. Unfortunately if the diameter of your upper arm is outside this range we can’t offer the service as the measurements will not be accurate.
The 24 hour blood pressure monitoring service is subject to appointment and the availability of specially trained staff.