GLYCEROL SUPPOSITORIES BP FOR ADULTS 4G (12)
Glycerol Suppositories BP 4g are used to help treat constipation in adults. The stimulant laxatives trigger the nerves of the lower intestines which helps increase the gut motility. This then provides rapid relief from constipation. Suitable to use for acute and temporary relief.
For adults and children over 12 years of age,
- Always use this medicine exactly as described in the leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- Wash hands before opening individual packaging. If the suppository is too soft, it may be chilled in the refrigerator or under cold running water before unwrapping.
- To remove a suppository tear one from the strip along the perforations then peel it from the plastic wrapping by grasping the two halves if the wrapping at the tip of the suppository and pulling them gently apart. The tip should be moistened with a little cold water to aid insertion.
- Using your index finger or middle finger, whichever you find easier, gently push the suppository into the rectum. The suppository is shaped for rectal insertion, ensure the tip of the suppository is inserted first.
- The Suppository should be inserted as far as possible, pushing the end of the suppository sideways to ensure contact with the wall of the bowel.
- The suppository should be in place for at least 15-20 minutes if possible. If you feel the suppository must come out immediately, it has been inserted high enough.
- You may feel an immediate urge to go to the toilet. Try to ignore this as the suppository will not work for at least 15 minutes.
Possible side effects
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible if you do not feel well while you are using Glycerol Suppositories. This medicine helps most people with constipation but it may have unwanted side effects in a few people. All medicines can have side effects.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist to answer any questions you may have.
- Glycerol suppositories are generally well tolerated. However, you may experience abdominal cramps or bowel irritation.
- If you are concerned by any of these reactions, discontinue use and consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you notice anything that is making you feel unwell. Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some people.